During our meeting at Girard-Perregaux on Baselworld 2014 we had the chance to take a closer look at the Girard-Perregaux Constant Escapement L.M. Pink Gold.
Girard-Perregaux’s Constant Escapement L.M. debuted in 2013, marking one of the brand’s most exciting innovations in its history. As the culmination of several years of research and development, it was the very first constant force escapement to be successfully placed in a wristwatch. The feat is an advanced and sophisticated solution to a quest that has perplexed clockmakers and watchmakers since the beginning of time, constant force – as such it is a victory over decreasing power in traditional mechanical watches to achieve greater precision and regularity.
To accomplish this, Girard-Perregaux watch masters have integrated an intermediate device into the escapement, consisting of an extremely thin silicon blade that stores the energy up to an invariable threshold bordering on instability, and then transmits it all instantaneously, before recommencing the cycle.
This groundbreaking timepiece is now available in a pink gold case with a softly domed, varnished white dial. The warm hue of the 18K pink gold version compliments the traditional architecture and intricacies within this masterpiece of watch mechanics. The faceted Dauphine hands and applied hour markers have also been redesigned in the same spirit and color. Despite its 48 mm diameter, the sleek case with softly curved lugs gently hugs the wrist for perfect comfort.
The Constant Escapement L.M. with the new pink gold case is worn on a matte black alligator strap with pink gold folding buckle.
The Constant Escapement L.M. at a glance
- A revolutionary concept addressing a holy grail of watchmaking, Constant Force. A breakthrough in the field of chronometry with a completely new architecture and design of the escapement (3 different patents).
- Unprecedented precision: a victory over waning power in traditional mechanical watches, through constant power delivery to the oscillator meaning constant amplitude and constant rate.
- Avant-garde materials and advanced technology. use of a 14 micron silicon buckled-blade, a strategic component 6 times thinner than a human hair.
- Long power reserve and linear indicator due to an innovative double twin barrel(patent pending). A total length of 3 meters of barrel spring.
- Spectacular avant-garde design inspired by the Girard-Perregaux tradition (symmetrical design, arrow-shape bridges, etc.)
- A visionary creation acknowledged through numerous awards, including the most prestigious one: the Aiguille d’Or of the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève.
Case: pink gold
Diameter: 48.00 mm
Bezel: circular satin-brushed, interior satin-brushed
Crystal: domed anti-reflective sapphire
Dial: domed, varnished white color, with 6 applied indexes and applied GP logo in gold
Hands: dauphine style
Crown: pink gold with embossed GP logo
Case-back: sapphire glass, secured by 6 screws
Water resistance: 30 meters (3 ATM)
Girard-Perregaux movement GP09100-0002
Mechanical, manual winding movement
Diameter: 39.20 mm (17 1/2’’’)
Frequency: 21,600 Vib/h – (3 Hz)
Power reserve: 6 days
Number of components: 271
Functions: hour, minute, central second, linear power reserve
Black alligator leather strap with hand stitches
Pink gold folding buckle
Source WatchInsight and Girard-Perregaux.
Photo’s WatchInsight and Girard-Perregaux.